The Vrané Hydroelectric Power Station
The Vrané Hydroelectric Power Station forms the last stage of the Vltava Cascade. It commenced operation as the first large hydroelectric power station on the Vltava River back in 1936. Its reservoir, holding 11.1 million m3 of water, stretches for 12 km of the Vltava River and 3 km of the Sázava River. Together with the Štěchovice water reservoir, it balances the peak-load runoff from the Slapy hydroelectric power station. Its operation is remotely controlled from the control centre at Štěchovice to guarantee a long-term balanced runoff from the entire cascade.
The existence of the Vltava Cascade improved the quality of water in the Vltava River to the extent that trout and river char main are successfully raised between Vrané and the confluence with the Berounka River. The 13.88 MW Vrané power station generates inexpensive, environmentally clean electric energy, and allows the Slapy hydroelectric power station to operate at peak-load. Its water reservoir also serves as the lower reservoir for the Štěchovice II pumped-storage hydroelectric power station.
The Vrané water reservoir, built between 1930 and 1936, has two lock chambers to accommodate river traffic at this part of the Vltava River. The river is dammed by a weir with four 20 m wide spillways, with steel stop logs at 9.4 m. The 18 m high, 51 m x 11 m hydroelectric power station is located on the right bank, and is equipped as a classic run-off-river hydroelectric power station.
Between 1978 and 1980, the sets were modernized (the runners of the turbines were replaced) which increased the efficiency and absorption capacity of the turbines. In 1994, another modernization was completed; the power station implemented a control system for the 110 kV encased switching station and the indoor 22 kV switch house. This modernization permitted unattended operation as of 1 May 1986.
|Generation Unit - Vrané|
|Installed capacity||2 x 6,94 MW|
|Year of commissioning||1936|
|Type of turbine||Kaplan|