The Hodonin Power Station
New: Virtual tour!
The Hodonín Power Station is one of the oldest in the Czech Republic. It was built in two stages between 1951 and 1957. A suitable location was selected based on the local conditions near a lignite mine and the Morava River. In the 50’s, there was an absence of experience in using lignite with a 45% water content for pulverized-fuel burning. Therefore, the pre-drying and milling of lignite was tested simultaneously with preparation of design documentation of the power station. The technical problems were solved by the time the station was commissioned; however, the station still had to burn brown coal from the Sokolov region at some stages.
The power station was originally equipped with eight pulverized-fuel-fired boilers, each rated at 125 tons of steam per hour, and made by ZVU Hradec Králové. They worked in the block arrangement; the first unit consisting of four boilers and two 50 MW turbines commenced operations in 1954. These turbines, made by Škoda Pilsen, were the first 50 MW turbines ever installed in the then Czechoslovakia. In 1957, two more boilers with a 50 MW turbine commenced operations; the last two boilers with 55 MW turbines were put into operation in 1958. The Hodonín Power Station was then the largest electricity resource in the country, having a capacity of 205 MW. In 1966, the total capacity of the power station increased to 210 MW as a result of reconstructing two 50 MW and 55 MW turbo-generators to 55 MW. All turbines are condensing with once-through cooling. Boilers have also been modified to increase their output from 125 to 135 tons of steam per hour.
With time, new 100 MW and 200 MW units were constructed at other localities. Consequently, The Hodonín Power Station lost significance as an electricity supplier, and it was gradually modified to a heating station operation. In 1963, it already supplied heat in the form of steam to industrial enterprises and other customers in the town of Hodonín. In 1980, the TG4 turbine set was replaced by a 180 t/hr bleeder turbine with suppressed condensation. Similarly, the TG3 turbine was reconstructed in 1996.
These turbine sets have two interesting technical features - the turbo-generators are mounted on a single plate supported by vibration absorbers made by GERB, and the condensers at TG3 have continuous cleaning equipment made by Taprogge. The bleeder turbine sets and the stand-by pressure limiting station supply steam with conditions of 1.8 MPa/270 °C to Hodonín, and hot water with conditions of 150/70 °C to the Slovak town of Holíč. The generated electricity mostly covers the demand in the immediate vicinity of the power station.
The new Hodonín-East heat feeder further expanded the heat supply; the first stage of the construction was completed in 1992, the second in 1996. The total annual heat supply is approx. 750 TJ and installed outgoing heat output is 250 MW. The power station has a considerable reserve for increasing the present supplies and connection of other consumers. Prices of heat in the form of the direct supplies and supplies from primary distribution networks are reasonable, and are comparable with the possible competitive methods of heat supply. Additionally, operating-technical and price stability of supplies in the long-term outlook is an advantage, namely in comparison with resources that burn imported fuels.
The negative environmental impact of the local production is also being successively reduced. In the 80’s, old electric separators were replaced by new ones that now operate with up to 99.5 % efficiency. The operation is now less noisy as a result of installing additional sound absorbers.
Between 1992 and 1997, two fluidized-bed boilers were constructed, each rated at 170 tons of steam per hour. Problems with waste water and ash from the new boilers were solved by their depositing in a common disposal site. After completion of reconstruction, a considerable reduction of environmental impacts was achieved, for example, emission of pollutants in flue gases were reduced to one tenth.
Last day of the year 2009 was in token of a definite change of one of the units in Hodonín entirely to clear biomass (other operations of the CEZ Group apply so called coburning of biomass and coal).
Based on the combustion processes that are realized during production of electricity and heat, there are generated the secondary power-producing products that become, under the assumed fulfilment of technical and legal conditions, a raw material for further processing and production:
Dry bed ash (Certified product called RESAN EHO, partly substitutes sand and soil, and can be utilized for backfills of excavations, production of concrete mixtures, etc.), Stabilizate (Certified product called REHAS EHO and REHAS II EHO), is the ash mortar, and can be utilized for construction of dam bodies, landscaping, etc., and Fly-ash (Non-certified product, undangerous, can be used for production of concrete mixtures, cement-ash suspension, as additive for the hourdis production. etc.). These "Secondary power-producing products" generated in the course of the fluidized combustion are mostly used in construction industry.
The Hodonín Power Station belongs to CEZ power stations that burn, in addition to coal, the biomass.
|Generation Unit - Hodonín|
|Installed capacity||105 MW|
|Years of commissioning||1954 - 1958|
|Desulphurized since||1996 (60 MW - 1st FBB) 1997 (45 MW - 2nd FBB) 1998 (50 MW phased out)|
CEZ, a. s., The Hodonín Power Station, with its installed electric output of 105 MW and heat output of 250 MWHeat, is the smallest plant of the joint-stock company. An extensive "slimming diet", started in 1990, resulted in reduction of employees from 628 to the present 249, and the introduced "rejuvenation cure" resulted in renewing a large part of equipment costing 2,800 million CZK, these measures were focused mostly on heat supply needs, and in a smaller extent on production of electric energy.
In the course of reconstruction, special attention has been drawn to environmental protection, and nowadays The Hodonín Power Station is a modern power station with a minimum environmental impacts.
The Hodonín Power Station production represents a share of 0.69 % only at the total production of CEZ, a. s., and a considerable increase of production is not planned. Only 36.5 % of the installed capacity is utilized, and this low utilization corresponds with a high fuel costs. Taking it into consideration, specific consumption to the produced electricity is very adequate - 11.09 GJ/MWhrs, and corresponds to 110 MW units.
CEZ, a. s., The Hodonín Power Station, is not only a power-producing resource of regional importance but it also creates, thanks to its location in the immediate vicinity of the town centre, an architectonic dominating feature, namely with its four 100 m high chimneys. In the frame of reconstruction, three silos for limestone and ash storage, 32.6 m high, were built additionally; they nearly put the main production building, 35 m high, in the shade.
Despite the fact that opinions to architectonic design vary, there remains an incontentious fact that The Hodonín Power Station, and especially its chimneys, being now without smoke, form a panorama of the town of Hodonín already since 1958.
A sensitive relation to surroundings is confirmed by existence of more than thirty-years old spruce and pine trees growing in the yard of the power station.